Karen joined the SVPA team in 1999, assisting with marketing, general office and project-related tasks. Over the years, Karen’s job duties have evolved and she now serves as Office Manager and Project Coordinator. As Office Manager, Karen oversees day-to-day needs in the office. As Project Coordinator, Karen assists in keeping projects moving forward and on schedule, coordinating with in-house staff, consultants and contractors to ensure success through design, bidding and construction. This includes assistance with specifications, contracts, shop drawings, construction cost tracking and change orders, and project closeout documentation. In addition, Karen works with SVPA management to estimate and monitor the numbers of hours required to successfully complete each project.
What inspires you?
“The people I work with. They are amazing.”
What is a hidden talent you have?
“I can come up with a song to match just about every condition of life and sing it to you whether you want to hear it or not.”
Joined SVPA Architects
Simpson College, Bachelor of Arts, 1981
Construction Specifications Institute (CSI), Member
Construction Document Technologist (CDT)
Notable Project Experience
- Iowa City Community School District, Liberty High School, North Liberty, IA
- Nationwide 1100 Locust, Des Moines, IA
- Drake University, Collier-Scripps Hall, Des Moines, IA
- Shawnee Mission Health, B.E. Smith Family Center, Merriam, KS
- R&R Realty Westfield Office Building, West Des Moines, IA
- Indianola Wellness Center (YMCA), Indianola, IA
Since joining the SVPA team, my job duties have evolved and I now serve as Office Manager and Project Coordinator.- Karen Wood, CSI, CDT