Sam graduated from Iowa State University in 2016. Since graduating, Sam has gained experience at design firms with a focus on commercial, education, senior living, municipal and small commercial office design projects.
When did you know you wanted to be an architect?
“I always loved to draw and design. As a child I would build LEGO towers, and loved to design homes in The Sims. I participated in the ACE Mentor Program when I was a senior in high school, and in our mock project we took an abandoned building and designed a space for artists to create and display their work. The process was so much fun, and it was then I knew I wanted to make a career designing buildings.”
What is your favorite building and why?
“Virtually any of the Gothic and Renaissance Basilicas, St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome is at the top of my list. St. Peter’s holds significant religious importance to me, and it is an architectural marvel. I visited the basilica in 2018 and was amazed at not only the scale of the building, but also the incredible artwork. Every inch of the basilica is intricately decorated – from the narthex to the baldacchino on the altar; it was the most impressive building I’ve ever seen.”
Joined SVPA Architects
Iowa State University, Bachelor of Architecture, 2016
American Institute of Architects (AIA), Member
Iowa Women in Architecture, Previous Member
National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, Certificate Holder
Licensed Architect in Iowa
Notable Project Experience
- City of Ankeny Public Services Building Renovation
- City of Carrollton Aquatic Center
- Hy-Vee Stores, Various Locations
- Iowa City Community School District, Northwest Junior High School, Coralville, IA
- City of Marshalltown Public Facility ADA Assessment
- Oskaloosa Community School District, Elementary and High School Additions and Renovations, Oskaloosa, IA
- Pella Corp. Building 5 Remodel, Pella, IA
- Washington Community School District, Facility Improvements, Washington, IA
I participated in the ACE Mentor Program when I was in high school, and in our mock project we took an abandoned building and designed a space for artists to create and display their work. The process was so much fun, and it was then I knew I wanted to make a career designing buildings.- Samantha Fernholz, AIA